Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Just Call Me 'Skip'

Last night was our curling night; due to a little scheduling mishap (meaning a recent change to the schedule that a few people didn't notice) our skip didn't show up for our scheduled game. So, we were down a guy...since you have to alternate players, one of the girls had to be the skip...our other girl, Maria, made it clear that she didn't want to do it, so that left...ME.

I was pretty nervous at first, but the skip from the other team was very helpful. We played this team earlier in the season, so they knew that we were all relatively new to curling and were willing to help us out a bit. So, the first two or three ends, she helped me call the shots and gave me pointers along the way.

Then she realized that Curt really knows what he is doing, so she stepped back and let Curt call the game. Curt made all the decisions, and just told me where to put the broom :)

We all played really well, and managed to keep ourselves in the game. It also helped that their skip wasn't playing as well as she could have been - every time she missed a shot, it was like she was giving us a little gift.

And then, in the last end, we were down by one and I have to throw last rock...Curt tells me to throw take-out weight - if I make the shot he wants me to, we will score three...the pressure is on, right?

So, do you think I cracked?

NOPE, I made the shot! We scored three and won the game 8 to 6!

We were pumped, to say the least!

Our skip showed up after the game (he thought we played the late game), and we gave him the play-by-play. I think he was jealous that he missed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment