Wednesday, August 29, 2012

More Weekend Visitors

I guess my Mom and Aunt Mary were jealous when they heard that the Robertson's were coming to visit - so, they decided to come for their own visit this past weekend!

They arrived early Friday afternoon and again, my weekend got off to a pretty special start!  My Mom arrived with my birthday gift...and although my birthday isn't until December, she pretty much insisted that I open the gift right away! ;)   I was thrilled when I unwrapped the paper, opened the box and pulled out a.....COACH PURSE!  I was actually in shock when I saw what it was...at first I thought it was a knock-off...but when I saw the tag and the serial number, I knew it was real! 

I tried to find a picture online, but couldn't find the exact style so I took a quick picture of my actual purse...nice, right?!?
Last Christmas, my mom received a Coach purse from a friend, and I was pretty jealous :)  I bought a knock-off Coach at the Florida flea market a few years ago, and it always seemed a bit cheesy...but, now that my Mom had a real one, there was no way I could use the knock off!  We've had an ongoing joke ever since that she would leave me the purse in her will.  And, now that won't be necessary...although I won't complain if she does anyway ;)

Friday afternoon, we went for a drive to Campbellford (for a chocolate factory and a great bakery) and then once Curt got home from work, we took Mom and Aunt Mary out for dinner.  We took them to a spot on the water called 'The Boathouse'.

Aunt Mary on the left and Mom on the right:

Enjoying the view after dinner:

Saturday morning, it was off to the States for the ladies - Curt stayed home because he had a golf tournament to play in on Saturday afternoon.  Watertown, New York is only about two hours from our house, and although it doesn't have the greatest shopping (no outlet mall), it had enough to keep the three of us happy!

Our first stop was the mall - we all found a few goodies at Burlington Coat Factory, JC Penney and Bath and Body Works.  After a quick bite to eat at the food court, it was off to Kohl's and Target!  It doesn't sound like a lot, but I think all of that kept us busy from around noon until about 5pm!

After checking into our hotel, and having some down time in the room, we decided to go out for dinner.  And, we got to go to my favourite spot - Ruby Tuesday! 

Once we got back to our hotel, we didn't last long before calling it a night.  All that shopping really tired us out, more specifically, it tired Aunt Mary out ;)

We did a little more shopping the following morning, but it ended up being mostly groceries?!?!  I thought my Mom was crazy for wanting to go to an Aldi grocery store, but I ended up coming out with a few bags of my own.  And, the same thing happened when we went to the grocery section of Walmart later that morning.

Unfortunately, we had a little issue coming back across the border :)  We thought that because we had been there over night, we were allowed to bring back alcohol and cigarettes.  So, when we got to booth and were asked if we had anything to declare, I told the lady that we were each bringing in a bottle of alcohol and that Mom and Aunt Mary each had a carton of cigarettes.  Well, turns out you have to stay 48 hours to bring those things back to Canada...so, we were sent to the "cashier" and forced to pay tax :(

I think I ended up paying around $50, and Mom and Aunt Mary paid around $75 (they had the cigarettes too)!  We were TICKED, to say the least.  And, just to make it extra annoying, the customs agent that looked after us had this annoying smirk on his face and seemed to be enjoying it way too much.  What made it extra annoying for me was that I had only picked up one bottle, and I was paying tax on that one bottle....however, Mom and Aunt Mary each got two bottles, but because we said they only got one, they only paid tax on the one.  So, they seemed to be getting off easier than me!?!? :) 

We all vented A LOT when we got back in the vehicle - and probably said more than one curse word :)  But, eventually we laughed about it...A LOT...to the point we were crying!

And, we laughed even more when we told Curt the story.  After hearing the story, Curt decided he should have a drink to make it all worthwhile (oh yeah, I don't even drink!)...and, when he pulled the bottle out of the bag he pointed out that it is a 60 oz. bottle...and we only declared a 40 oz. bottle....HA!  That was an honest mistake though, we really didn't know what we bought :)

Thanks to Mom and Aunt Mary for making the trip to Belleville to visit, and for allowing me to tag along on their trip across the border!  I hope you enjoyed yourselves as much as I did. 

Oh, and Mom, thanks for cooking the turkey while you were here too!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment