Tuesday, January 12, 2010

December '09 - Part 1

So, like I said, I started this blog to document some of the more exciting parts of our lives. And, I think our recent cruise fits into that category!

For a week in December, Curt and I got to call the Carnival Glory our home. The trip was a gift from my boss, well, sort of...I always get a bonus at the end of the season, and somehow it has always been in the form of a trip (Las Vegas twice, and now the cruise). We chose a Western Caribbean cruise, so we sailed from Miami and had stops in Cozumel, Mexico; Belize City, Belize; Isla Roatan, Honduras and Georgetown, Grand Cayman, as well as two full days at sea.


So, we took it easy in Cozumel and just did some shopping. We shopped right at the port and then walked all the way to 'downtown' Cozumel...which ended up being a lot longer then expected, and although it was a beautiful day for a walk, we ended up taking a taxi back to the ship!

The only scheduled shore excursion we did was Cave Tubing in Belize. I don't remember when or where I heard about this, but I knew as soon as we booked the cruise that I wanted to do this, and Curt was up for it too! We had to book through an online operator though, Carnival no longer offers this excursion, but that ended up working out great.


I was a little nervous about doing this, I pictured the caves being pitch black and the water having rushing rapids! Well, not so much. There were multiple groups in the cave at the same time, and we all wore head lamps, so there was plenty of light. And although there were some parts of the river that moved fast, it didn't really make for real rapids. It wasn't exactly what I pictured either, we didn't just hop on a tube and float down the river, we actually formed a chain with other tubers and went down as a group. This allowed our guide to control the line, and keep us safe. Overall, it was a lot of fun and the hardest part was getting used to the cold water :)

Although we didn't do an excursion, I think Isla Roatan ended up being our favourite stop. Carnival has just built a new port here, and there is a great beach within walking distance, so we had planned on just having a beach day here, and we ended up with perfect weather for it! We were able to rent a clear-bottom kayak here and do our own little excursion...something we decided to do as a little extra because it was actually my birthday that day!


When we got back on the ship, Curt actually had a little surprise waiting for me in our room....


Grand Cayman wasn't really too special. We just walked around the city and did a little shopping; it was actually a bit rainy, so we didn't even stay on land too long. We did get one picture worth sharing though...


It's a little hard to see in the picture, but, there is some type of bird right by the KFC sign...and, it looks a lot like a chicken! ha! Needless to say, we didn't have lunch at Kentucky Fried Chicken!

Unfortunately our last day at sea was pretty rough and my body didn't handle it to well; I spent the whole morning in bed, it didn't seem as bad laying down. Curt wasn't too bothered by it though, so he was able to get out and about, and he picked up some medication that seemed to ease my motion sickness by mid-afternoon. It was also a little cloudy on our final day, so even when I was able to get out of our room, we weren't able to do much on the outer decks.

This was Curt's first cruise, and my second. And although I totally enjoyed it, I don't think it stood up to my first one, which was with Royal Caribbean. But, I'm not complaining...it was essentially a free cruise after all! I think that no matter what cruise line you are with, you are guaranteed to receive excellent service and amazing food, as we did while on the 'Glory'! And although I have never been to an all-inclusive resort, I think cruising may be more my thing because you get to see multiple countries in one vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment