Monday, February 7, 2011

Continued Absence

Well, as you know, things have been really quiet on my blog for the last few months...and, unfortunately, I think they're going to stay that way for awhile.

Last week, my contract at work was extended, again...and, not just for two weeks (which I was expecting), it's been extended all the way to May 20th.

Honestly, I have mixed feelings about this...

There are the obvious positives - it's a job; it's a 'real' job in the social services field, so I'm kinda using my degree; it pays well; they've accommodated my skating schedule; and, it's Monday to Friday.

But, there are some negatives, too - although it's a 'real' job in the social services field, sometimes I feel like I used my degree more while working at the golf course; it's been pretty hectic working all day Monday to Friday, and then skating three nights a week and Saturdays; and, the work itself is boring and monotonous.

This job has been a very good experience, and I've learned a lot, even in the short time that I've been there.

I've learned a lot about social services - I had no idea this program even existed prior to starting, so that alone is big; but, in dealing with the clients, I've also learned a lot about other programs that exist in our area.

I've also learned a lot about myself - I can be really patient when it comes to teaching kids to skate, not so much when I'm dealing with irate people yelling at me on the phone; no matter how boring and monotonous the job, I'm still going to give 110%; and, I'm on the fence about whether or not I'm really a Monday to Friday, nine to five, kinda girl.

So, I'm trying to be positive and appreciate the opportunity while I have it. I'm sure the next few months will fly by and I'll be back to the dreaded 'job searching'...I can only hope that this new experience is beneficial on my resume.

And, that turned into a really wordy post, and all I'm trying to say is that my posts will probably continue to be few and far between for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment