Sunday, March 13, 2011

A Week of Mourning

One week ago tonight, on Sunday, March 6th, I received a phone call from my mom - a call in which my mom had to tell me that my Nana had passed away earlier that evening.

I knew the call was coming - my Nana had been sick for awhile, and last Friday, my mom called to tell me that things had deteriorated, and my Nana would soon lose her battle.

It didn't matter, nothing could have prepared me for that call.

It's been a long and tiring week. Curt and I left for Acton Monday morning, after getting things at work and skating organized for the week. We spent the week at Tom and Krystle's - it was good, and necessary, to be surrounded by family for the week.

Visitation, or the wake, for my Nana was on Wednesday. The weather was horrible, wet snow and then freezing rain, so we didn't have as many people as expected.

The funeral was on Thursday. I have always been really close to my Nana, and really wanted to speak at her funeral, to share some of the special memories I have of her. It was really hard, and when I got behind the pulpit, I actually didn't think I was going to be able to do it. I got through it, but I did a horrible job - there were a lot of tears and sniffles - and there were times people probably couldn't understand what I was saying. But, I'm still really glad I did it...I know I would always regret it if I had backed out.

Following the funeral, we went to the cemetery for the burial. Again, horrible weather - there were huge puddles, it was muddy, and it rained the entire time we were there. You know that old saying, that rain is the angels in Heaven crying - if that's the case, the angels were crying happy tears on Thursday - they were celebrating the arrival of my Nana in Heaven, while those of us on earth all mourned our loss.

Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!
Lyrics from the hymn 'Great is Thy Faithfulness' - one of the hymns my Nana had selected for the congregation to sing at her funeral.

Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Matthew 5:4



No comments:

Post a Comment