Friday, April 15, 2011

Recent and Upcoming Reads

Earlier this week, I finished reading the book 'Water for Elephants' by Sara Gruen.

I had been hearing/reading a lot about this book - and couldn't wait to read it! Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. I loved the way this story was told - flashing between the main character, Jacob, as an old man in a nursing home and a young man who runs away and joins the circus. The historical aspect of the novel was also really enjoyable - it made me want to go to the circus, but I don't know that today's circus compares to the circus of the past. And, one of my favourite parts of the book - Rosie, the elephant!

There were definitely some parts of the book that were a little 'crude' or 'disturbing' - but, it's easier to read when it's there for a reason, and in this case it was. I know the author did her research, so if it's in the book, it's because that type of thing used to happen on these 'circus trains'.

So, I've been wanted to read this book for awhile, but I'm glad I read it when I did. The movie is being released on April 22nd, and I can't wait to see it- and, the book will still be fresh in my mind, which is perfect.

The next book on my list is 'Sing You Home' by Jodi Picoult. I've read a lot of Jodi Picoult's novels; I would probably say she is one of my favourite authors, so I'm sure I will enjoy this one.

I actually have to put 'Sing You Home' on hold while I read 'Good to a Fault' by Marina Endicott. This is the next selection for a book club I'm in with a bunch of friends. I don't know what to expect with this one - the friend that chose it said she really enjoyed it the first time she read it, another friend in the group said it was very melancholy. I'm hoping I agree more with the friend who thought it was good enough to read again! Especially considering that I haven't even started it yet, and our book group meets on Tuesday! I couldn't buy it for my Kobo, so I was going to order it from Amazon, then I forgot. So, tonight I had to make a trip to Chapters - and, I should probably be reading right now!

Once I'm done those two books, it's on to 'The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo' - it was on sale for Kobo a few weeks ago, so I bought it for later. Another one I've heard good things about - and it's the first in a trilogy, so I know I'll have to read the other two, as well.

These are mysteries, so we'll see how that goes?!?!

Anyway, there is a little peak at what's on my Kobo/bedside table! Random, I know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment