Monday, May 9, 2011

Weekend Happenings - Day 1

Ahhhhh, two day weekends are a great thing!

We had a great weekend, a good mix of stuff to do and time to relax...so between that, and the great weather, it was almost perfection.

We didn't have anything to do Saturday morning, so we just took our time getting into gear. Eventually, the sun drew us outside, and we decided to do some work out there - we cut the grass and then started doing some clean up work on the back garden.

By mid-afternoon Curt and I had to get organized for our afternoon plans - Curt was going to play golf, and I was going to watch a skating show.

Rather then having their own carnival this year, the Quinte Figure Skating Club joined forces with another area Club, and together they put on a Celebration Gala. Coaches had the option as to whether or not they wanted to get involved and choreograph group numbers, I opted OUT! I think it was back in February when they asked us to commit - and I couldn't really imagine adding to my already busy coaching/work schedule. So, it was great to go to the show and see my skaters in their group numbers, but not have the added stress of being behind the scenes.

It was hard to walk into an arena on such a beautiful day, but it was a great show, so I was really glad that I went. There were some unique aspects to the show - a graffiti artist who created spray paint art while groups were skating, and four local teenage musicians who sang during the show.

But the best part of the show, in my opinion, was the guest skaters. They had a pairs team, Dylan Moscovitch & Kristin Moore-Towers, and a dance team, Vanessa Crone and Paul Poirer - both of these teams were in Moscow for the World Figure Skating Championships last week!

They also had the Synchronized Skating Team 'Nexxice'. This team was at the Synchronized Worlds competition in Finland this year, and placed fifth. I am always impressed to see synchronized teams skate - it has come such a long way since my day, when it was known as precision skating.

So, the show was great, but it was a little long, so I had to leave early in order to get ready for the next event of the day.

We had our Year-End Curling Banquet on Saturday night. We enjoyed seeing our teammates again, and it was nice to visit with them over a great dinner.

There were also awards presented for all the different leagues - and, despite finishing second in our competitive league, we didn't win anything :)

The night also included a dance, but Curt and I both forgot our dancing shoes, so we didn't stay long!

No comments:

Post a Comment