Saturday, October 15, 2011

Thanksgiving - Part 1

Well, it's already been a week since we were in Acton for Thanksgiving, and I'm finally getting around to posting here about the fabulous weekend we had! It's been one of those weeks...but, I'm happy to say that after procrastinating for weeks, I finally buckled down and got solo music ready for all of my skaters! That is a huge weight off my shoulders!

Anyway, Thanksgiving weekend...it was a time of fun activities, lots of visiting with family and great food! We couldn't really ask for much more during the two and a half days we were away.

I had to coach on Saturday, so we didn't leave home until late afternoon...but, we arrived in Acton in time for dinner, the first amazing meal of the weekend. Thanks to Dad for BBQ'ing the steaks even though the 'Stanley Cup Champion Maple Leafs were playing'! (ha! Sorry, inside joke, but my dad probably chuckled when he read that).

Sunday, it was off to church. The church I grew up attending, Knox Presbyterian Church, is a beautiful old church. There is a sign on the red brick that says 'Erected in 1894'! And, like many churches that are that old, there are lots of stained glass windows! The church is currently fundraising to have some work done on the stained glass windows - and, Curt and I chose a window and made a donation so that that one window can have the necessary upgrades done to it. Window #32 located in a room on the second floor of the church, behind the balcony and overlooking Main St.; growing up, this room was where we met weekly for our Junior Choir practices, and later, where our high school Sunday School class met during the service. These two parts of church are full of great memories, and I think it would be fair to say they both played a part in shaping the person I am today - so, I'm very glad to be contributing to a window in that room.

After church, we finally got to see my brother and sister-in-law and the kids! They were at a wedding on Saturday afternoon/evening, and spent the night out of town. After a little visit and a quick bite to eat, the kids went down for their naps, and the boys and I were off to play golf with dad. I am so glad we still get a chance to play Blue Springs, the course I used to work at - and I LOVE playing the course in the fall, the colours are beautiful.

The elevated tee at the second hole, always a favourite.


We had to be home for Thanksgiving dinner, so we didn't expect to get in a full 18 holes...but, we managed to play 17 after jumping around a little bit to avoid having to wait. It's great to play with someone who works there, they can get away with that kind of thing!

Dinner was amazing, of course - thanks mom!

Abby and Uncle Curt sharing dessert.
Nolan, very focused on his dessert.
This great day was closed off with card games with Tom and Krystle. We had to be good and go to bed on time though, because it was off to the pumpkin patch on Monday. And, that will get a post all on its own...hopefully tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I look like I sleeping not sharing desert.
    Curt

    ReplyDelete