Sunday, December 9, 2012

An Exciting Purchase

I really want to be better about blogging in December.  But, as I was doing some household chores today, I couldn't really think of anything worth blogging about.  I checked my camera to see what I've been taking pictures of lately, and I found these...

Last weekend was the Tweed Santa Claus Parade, and this is the float that the skating club entered.  I really had nothing to do with the float, I just went out and took pictures.  We've put a float in for a number of years now, but usually it's just a truck and trailer...this was the first time for horses and a wagon...the kids were VERY excited!  It's hard to tell, but that giant white thing on the wagon is actually a skate (it looks like a shoe/boot because the kids are sitting in front of the blade).  Apparently the horses had an impact on more than just the kids - we ended up winning second place in the parade!

So, although that is kinda fun, it's a pretty weak blog post, right?!?

But, then I remembered these...
My BRAND NEW SKATES!  A Riedell 875 TS boot with a JSW Stealth Blade.  Not that that means much to anyone, but that's OK.

To say I am excited about these is a bit of an understatement.  I honestly can't even remember when my last skates were purchased - it had to have been my last, or second last, year of skating...so I figure it was 12 or 13 years ago!  So, I wore them for the last part of my own skating 'career' - which means they got me through my Gold Skills and Gold Dance Tests - and I've worn them for the last 7.5 years while I've been coaching!  I didn't do much skating during my four years at University, so they got a break during that time.

I have been well aware of my need for new skates for a few years now.  The skates I was wearing are extremely broken down in the ankle, and there are a few screws missing on each skate - so there's not a lot holding the blade on the boot!  But, they are still soooo comfortable - they feel like slippers when I put them on.  Looking at them next to my new skates makes them look pretty ugly though...


So, besides my old ones still being comfortable, I just could not bring myself to spend the crazy amount of money it would be for a new pair.  However, now seemed like an appropriate time to just bite the bullet and do it - and, although it was quite an expense, I know these skates will probably last until the end of my coaching career, so that eases the pain :)

My new skates are not exactly comfortable.  My excitement was slightly ruined when I wore them for the first time - they are so stiff, and there is a lot of different padding in the boot - my feet hurt a lot after the first session!  The blade is also really different, and at first it felt like I was going to fall backwards - but, it's just because the rocker is in a slightly different spot, so I know it's just a matter of time before I adjust.  I've worn them for six sessions now, and each time they feel a little better.  I've been carrying both pairs of skates back and forth to the rink, just in case my feet get too sore and I want to put my old skates on, but I think I'm going to start leaving the old ones at home now! 

Funny story from the first night I wore the skates - one of my little skaters noticed that I had new skates on, so she was asking me about them.  And, she asked me how long I had my other ones - since I can't remember the exact number, I told her that I got them before she was even born!  Ha!  The look on her face was classic...and, her sister was skating nearby, so she called her over to tell her that 'Mary Beth's other skates were older than me!'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment