Saturday, February 23, 2013

Robertson's Visit - Part 2

So, I'm sure you're all dying to hear about Abby's first skate, so let me start there.

We tried to go skating on Sunday morning...we were going to go to the pond in Stirling, but when we got there, we discovered it hadn't been cleared off.  Then we decided to try the Bay of Quinte...but, on the way into Belleville, we stopped to get gas, and while Tom was out pumping gas, he realized it was going to be too cold to be outside for long.  So rather than having the kids freeze, and making Abby's first experience miserable, we decided to wait and find a public skating session to go to.  Luckily, we found one Sunday afternoon and managed to get there after naps...we only had half an hour on the ice, but that was probably enough for the first try.

And, here we are...Abby and I on our first lap.  That's Tom infront of us, and you may be able to see Nolan's skate behind us...he is climbing into the penalty box!
You can see that at first, I had to hold Abby under her arms and I'm quite bent over, at this point I was really holding her up.  BUT, it wasn't like that the whole time...towards the end, she really only needed to hold onto my fingers because she was able to stand on her own!  You can see the difference in this picture...
You can also see Nolan, chillin' on the ice behind us! :)

Once we got to that point, it was time to get her to try to take some steps on her own...
I was obviously VERY excited when she took a few steps by herself (despite first saying 'I can't do it!').  Her reward, a spin with Auntie Boo.  I wish you could see her face better in this picture, she was beaming - because she was pleased with herself and because I was spinning her!
Now, my focus was on Abby (because she was wearing the figure skates), but Nolan was there too!  And, I have to say, he is doing really well on his skates too!  He's A LOT better then the last time I saw him - he skates on his own now, and has no problem getting himself up if he falls.  He's hockey crazy though, so he wasn't too interested in skating with Auntie Boo the figure skater!  At one point though, Tom took Abby and I skated with Nolan, and I told him to lift his feet up (rather than shuffle them on the ice) so he would go faster...and I think he replied with something like 'oh yeah, wanna fight about it' and he dropped his gloves!  hahaha!

Our future NHL'er...he looks sweet in these pictures, but he'll probably be the goon! 
So there you have it, Abby's first skate!  I've been trying to think of a way to see her and get her on the ice again before Spring...I haven't figured anything out yet, but I'm not giving up yet!

And now there have been two posts all about skating, something we only spent 30 minutes doing...so, there are some other things to post about from the weekend, but I'm going to drag this out for one more post!

No comments:

Post a Comment