Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Me + Snowboarding = Pain

On Sunday, Curt and I went to Calabogie Peaks, just outside Ottawa, to go snowboarding. This was the fourth time I've tried snowboarding, but the first time in two years. Curt, he's been snowboarding for awhile, so it's like riding a bike for him.

The first time I tried was with Curt, and it was when we had only been dating for a few years. I was so glad that I had worn sunglasses that day, because I definitely shed some tears! It was so painful...I think the falls I took that day were worse then all my skating falls, combined!

The following year Curt and I, with some good friends, Chris and Karen, went to New York to go snowboarding. Karen was also new to the sport, so the two of us took a lesson together while Chris and Curt went and did their thing. The lesson helped, and when we tried a few runs ourselves things went much better. I still fell, but I felt like I was starting to get it. At the end of that winter, I even bought my own board when they went on sale.

Two years ago, Curt and I went to nearby Devil's Elbow for our yearly snowboarding trip. I only have vague memories of this trip; I know I had a few good runs towards the end of the day, only falling once or twice during each run! I also remember that I was starting to get the hang of turning on those last few runs; I still favoured turning one way over the other, but I had managed a few clean turns the tricky way.

We didn't get a chance to go last winter; so when I tried it again a few days ago, it was as painful as that first time! I was pretty intimidated when we arrived, Calabogie is quite a bit larger then the other places I have been. And, sure enough, it seemed to take forever to get to the bottom of the hill on that first run. I fell...A LOT! I was in tears...not so much because of the falling, more because of the fear of the unknown (I couldn't see the bottom of the hill, which was new to me...and, there was more than one trail to get to the bottom, and if I chose the wrong way down, I would end up on a much more difficult run).







Even though these are still pictures, not video, you can probably still tell how ugly I am on a snowboard. ha! I have no style AT ALL! I was just trying to get down the hill without falling, so I wasn't doing anything the 'right way'.

I have decided that, next time, I am going to try skiing instead of snowboarding! Snowboarding requires things that are exactly opposite of what I have done for years as a figure skater...most importantly, putting all my weight on my toes and heels, which you never want to do on skates! I think skiing will be easier as it is more like skating.

I'll wait and see how skiing goes, but something tells me, I'll be selling my snowboard and boots this time next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment