Tuesday, February 23, 2010

While I was Away...

I returned from Ottawa on Saturday evening, and Curt had a nice surprise for me!

A few weeks ago I posted about some projects I was taking on around the house; I have already blogged about the first one, painting our office, and shown before and after pictures. I mentioned that the second project was a little more labour intensive, and then I was really sick for a week, so it's taken awhile to complete. But, it's all finished and I'm ready to tell everyone about it.

I, with a ALOT of help from Curt, put up a backsplash up in our kitchen!

Some 'before' pictures...







Getting started....



When I left for the competition, the tile work and grout was done, but there were some finishing touches that would really complete the job. Months ago, Curt had put in about half of the toe-kick and light rail, but hadn't finished the job. The under-cabinet lighting was also missing. So, these were jobs that Curt needed to work on - I hadn't asked him to do them right away though, I was happy with the backsplash and was enjoying that. So, when I walked in and saw that ALL of those little jobs had been completed, I was a VERY HAPPY girl! Also, we have a half-wall between our kitchen and living room, and Curt had stained a piece of maple to match our cupboards, and placed that on top of the half-wall, and I think it looks amazing!

Some 'after' pictures...



A close-up of the tiles...



Showing the new maple on the half-wall...





So, there it is!

Like I said, this job required a lot of help from Curt...he had to give me a little lesson before I could get started, he laid out all the small-rectangular tiles for me (those tiles came in a one-foot by one-foot square, so Curt cut them into strips and then figured out a pattern so they fit together), and he cut all the necessary tiles. I am really lucky to have such a handy husband! And one that is patient enough to show me how to do these projects, and then tolerate the messy kitchen while I worked on it. Thanks, Curt!

No comments:

Post a Comment