Sunday, February 14, 2010

Vancouver 2010

They're finally here...the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Games!!!



I L.O.V.E. watching the Olympics...especially the Winter Games...and obviously the Figure Skating events are my favourite! These games are especially exciting to watch because they are here in Canada; obviously I am miles away from Vancouver, but it's still special. I know of a few people who are actually going to the games, so that's neat. One is a member at the golf course I work at, he's a police officer with the City of Belleville and he was chosen to do security at the games. Another is Curt's uncle, and he entered a contest through work and ended up winning...his trip is being looked after by a sponsor, and includes tickets a Canadian Men's Hockey Game!

The opening ceremonies were on Friday night, and like many, I stayed up late to watch to the end. There was a lot of hype about who was going to light the Olympic torch, and of course that's the last thing to happen. I thought the whole program was really well done, even if it was a little long.

I think my favourite part of the whole thing was when the official Olympic flag was carried in. I was really impressed with the people who were selected to carry the flag, or most of them anyway - Betty Fox, Donald Sutherland, Jacques Villeneuve, Barbara Ann Scott, Anne Murray, Romeo Dallaire, Bobby Orr and Julie Payette. (the names in bold are my favourites!). When a young girl I didn't recognize came on to sing the national anthem, I actually commented that Anne Murray should have been chosen :) Can you tell I grew up listening to Anne?!? My mom, and Nana, are big fans!

I also have to say that I think those selected to light the torch were great choices. The silhouette of Rick Hansen wheeling into BC Place, with the torch attached to his wheelchair, was very memorable. The flame being passed from one great Canadian athlete to another was also memorable - Catriona Le May Doan, Steve Nash, Nancy Greene, and Wayne Gretzky. Too bad there was a problem with the hydraulic system at this point. Oh well, it was handled well and the flame was lit.

As I'm writing this post, I'm watching the Pairs Short Program! And, news just broke that Canada has won our first GOLD medal of the Games!!! This is HUGE, and something that has been talked about for a long time...Canada has never won Olympic Gold when the Games where being hosted in Canada. YAH!!!

Hopefully that won't be the only Gold. I think the Canadian Dance Team of Scott Moir and Tessa Virtue have a really good chance of bringing home gold too!

No comments:

Post a Comment