Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Spins & Spirals

Six of my CanSkaters, five from Tweed and one from Quinte, competed at Spins & Spirals on Sunday. This is an annual competition hosted by Prince Edward County Skating Club (Picton), and I've taken skaters to it for a number of years now.

It was another VERY successful competition...my girls competed in thirteen events and brought home ten medals!

I think each of my skaters had a special moment at this competition.

Alyssa placed second in her solo at Shining Waters, so her goal was to place first at this competition. And she did just that - first in her solo and third in elements. This is the most disciplined little skater I have ever seen - she is always working hard, and never gets distracted by the other girls on the ice! This is a characteristic coaches love in a skater, and can help a skater go a long way, but Alyssa is afraid to fall, so that holds her back.



Alyssa on the medal podium

Naomi placed third in both her solo and elements; she was really pleased with this, having placed sixth in both her solo and elements at Shining Waters.



Naomi on the medal podium - you may notice something on her cheek, it's a temporary tattoo! She had her birthday party the day before, and put it on her face - her mom thought it was cute, her coach, not so much. But, there wasn't much I could do about it at that point?!?

Hannah placed third in her solo and sixth in elements; this was another huge improvement over the results at Shining Waters! Hannah's dad commented that he felt that the third was really good for Hannah, and would encourage her to continue working hard.



Hannah on the medal podium

Britteny placed second in both her solo and elements. Now, Britteny placed first and second, respectively, in these events at Shining Waters as well, but, the flights were larger at Spins & Spirals.

Jillian placed third and fifth in her solo and elements; and again, that third place was important because she was in larger flights - she said that it was a 'real third' versus 'fake second' she got at Shining Waters ('fake second' because there were only two skaters in the flight).



Britteny and Jillian, waiting for medal presentations

And, Allyson, placed first in team elements, third in her solo and fourth in elements. Allyson had a tough time at Shining Waters, having just moved up to the Introductory category, a big jump from Stage 6. After the warm-up for her solo, we were waiting for the first skater to finish, and she told me that she was going to smile when she skated 'so the judges know that I'm having fun!' Don't you just love that?!? And, the best part, she actually did it - she had the biggest smile I've ever seen on her face, from start to finish! When she stepped off the ice, the first thing she said was 'that was so fun'! How great is that!

I didn't get any pictures of Allyson

I realize, after taking the time to type all of this, that I am incredibly blessed to have such an amazing job! Although it's been almost five years now, I still have a hard time calling coaching a 'job', and that's because I love it so much! I get to spend time with kids and teach them something I am really passionate about - and, I get to share in their joy when they succeed! If you read the last post, you'll know that I also have to share in their frustration, but that doesn't seem to be as often...and, I always feel good when I can skater get past that frustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment