Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Success vs. Failure

Kate and Leah skated at Spring Fling, in Kingston, on Saturday.

Kate had a great skate, much like she did at EOSIC, and this time she was rewarded for it. She placed THIRD - and seemed very excited, and looked quite proud while standing on the podium to receive her medal. This time, she landed her first axel nicely, but fell on the second axel. The rest of the program was a little stronger then at EOSIC; she had more speed, had added a few arm movements throughout and we changed one of the spins (from a layback to a sit spin, which she is much better at). I made sure to watch every other skater in her flight, and even kept notes on their programs; following that, I hoped that she would place third or fourth, and it was a relief when she came in third! I was a little concerned after EOSIC, thinking that I may not know what I was talking about - this showed me that I do know what I'm doing, and I can coach!

Unfortunately, Leah had a really poor skate. She had a bad warm-up, and usually a bad warm-up means a good skate, but not in this case! I think this was actually the worst I have ever seen her skate her program, so that was very disappointing. She fell on her first jump, a lutz, and never really got it back together after that. When she got off the ice, she marched right past me and straight into the dressing room, so I knew she was upset. She didn't cry or anything, but the frustration was obvious...especially when she stated she 'never wanted to skate again'. We talked through that though, and hopefully she's going to be able to put it behind her. Her father and grandmother brought her to the competition, and the three of them left right after she skated, not even waiting for the results. I'm hoping I don't have to tell her that she came in seventh...out of seven.

That's the final competition for these girls this season, now it's on to carnival practices. Kate and Leah both skate in Tweed, and our annual Carnival is on March 27th, so it's time to get group numbers choreographed! I know, for Leah especially, carnival is a welcome break!

No comments:

Post a Comment