Friday, October 15, 2010

Lucy the Librarian

For the past two weeks, our local Christian radio station (UCB Canada) has been running a contest called 'Lucy the Librarian'. I've been listening to this station for almost a year now, but this is the first time I've participated in a listeners contest - this one was just too good to pass up.

So, the contest was called 'The Incredible UCB Book Giveaway' with Lucy the Librarian. From October 4th to the 15th, Lucy the Librarian revealed the titles of the 100 books in the Giveaway Library. Listeners had to keep track of the titles and authors of the books, collecting as many as possible over the twelve days.



I didn't even come close to getting all 100 book titles, in fact, I only had 36 book titles. But, this afternoon, the host explained that he would be doing a 'spot check' - he would randomly ask for ten book titles, and you only had to get 8 of the 10 correct, so I thought it was worth a try.

Just after 3pm this afternoon, the host made the announcement that it was time and that he was looking for caller #99 - so, I started dialing! I was really surprised when I got through right away, but I guess I was a little too anxious because I was caller #1, HA! From there, I frantically hit redial for the next hour - and I got through five more times (I was #17, #49, #66, #75 and #90)!

Curt arrived home early on in the process, so he was calling too, but he wasn't having the same luck I was. That is until the end, when he got through and was caller #100...it's not as bad as you think, caller #99 had gotten something wrong, so they were still looking for a winner!!! I was soooo excited - I was jumping up and down!

And here's what happened when Curt got through....

The host asked for Book #4 - I didn't have that one :(
The host asked for Book #13 - I didn't have that one :(
(It's not looking good at this point)
The host asked for Book #22 - I HAD IT! Crazy Love, by Francis Chan
(I've been wanting to read this one, so I'd love to win it!)
The host asked for Book #38 - I HAD IT! Growing Grateful Kids, by Susie Larson
The host asked for Book #51 - I didn't have it, game over :(

By this time, it was already after 4pm, and I was late for skating. So, I asked Curt to keep calling, but I had to leave.

He never got through again :( Curt kept listening, and apparently they said the person that won was #99 - so they must have edited it for some reason?!? The man that won had 55 book titles - that's 19 more then me!!!

Oh well, it was a lot of fun collecting the titles! Lucy the Librarian often gave the titles and authors name quite quickly, so I would write down as much as possible, and then go to amazon.com to make sure I had the right information. So, I've added a number of books to my 'To Read' list...now I'll just have to buy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment