Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Keeping Busy

Well, it seems as if the golf season may be over, for me anyway. I've only worked one of my last five scheduled shifts at the golf course - the other days weren't busy enough to need someone working in food & beverage. So, I've been enjoying the time off and keeping pretty busy, for now.

I always seem to have lots of off ice stuff I can do for skating - this week I was preparing entry forms for an upcoming competition. Next week it will be bills. I enjoy the days I work on skating stuff; I take the laptop into our office and spread out, I always feel so productive after an office-skating day!

On Tuesday, I was feeling a little crafty, so I worked on a few little projects I've been wanting to try. I made a little Halloween sign for our front door and started a few 'Scrabble Tile Necklaces'.

Here's the Halloween sign...


(I was having trouble taking a picture - I kept getting a glare because of the glass - so, I took it off the wall and set it on the floor in our spare room.)

We've had the Ikea frame hanging on the wall for a few weeks now, and it's been empty. I got this idea from a blog, but I don't remember which blog. Anyway, I just used some Halloween scrapbook paper and scrapbook letters to create the word 'BOO'...the pumpkin and the spider on either end are stickers, I found them on sale at Michaels and figured they would fill the two open spots nicely. I'm not thrilled with it, but I'm going to leave it because it's better then nothing.

Here is a picture of Scrabble Tile Pendants - I didn't make these, this is a sample photo I found on Google Images...


(Each of those is a scrabble tile with paper decoupaged on to it, the paper is then sealed with a substance that hardens and looks like glass. A jump ring has been attached, and a chain or piece of leather makes the necklace.)

I'm going to try to make these for my skaters for Christmas this year. I actually bought all the supplies to make them last year, but didn't get them done...honestly, I didn't even get them started. I wanted the tiles to have a figure skating theme, but I can't find any supplies related to figure skating, so I've given up on that idea. Instead, I just bought some origami paper with various patterns, so I'll use that and try to make each one different. I'll post pictures if I'm happy with them when they're finished :)

Aside from these crafts, I also had time to write a letter to Aubrey, our World Vision sponsor child from Malawi! Another thing I've been wanting to do for some time. This is actually the first letter I've written to him, and it was a little hard at first - I didn't really know where to start. It took a little while, but I'm happy with the result, and know that he'll be happy just to receive something from us, it won't really matter what it says.

Last night was our first night of curling, too, so it was a busy day! Curling was a lot of fun - and more of a workout then I expected! I was nervous leading up to the first night - we had to register in the competitive league because it was the only night Curt and I were both free, but we're rookies, far from competitive. But, we ended up with great teammates, Vince and Patsy. Ironically, I know Patsy through golf, so that was comforting. Vince and Patsy are both really good and have a lot of curling experience, but, they're also very patient and willing to help us learn the sport. Curt and I were both happy with how we played, especially considering it was our first night. We know we have a lot to learn, but that will come with time. It didn't hurt that we WON either - always a good feeling!

Today was a little more low key - although I did make a pretty good dinner, which is worth mentioning, because it doesn't always happen in this house :) I made slow-cooker lasagna - so easy - with caesar salad and garlic bread. Curt said that it was a 'superb' meal!

After dinner we went to visit Kevin, Susannah, Stella and Cole. Cole was really cute, and sooo tiny! He has a lot of dark hair, and really LONG fingers. I held him for a little while, but he was hungry so he was pretty fussy - and fussy babies usually get passed back to their moms pretty quickly with me. I put our camera in my purse on the way out the door, and then forgot to take it out during our visit, so I don't have any pictures.

So yeah, it's been a good couple days! I'm looking forward to the next few days, too - this weekend is Skate Canada International, in Kingston. I bought my tickets for this competition months ago, so I'm excited that it's finally here! I'm sure I'll have a post or two about the competition, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment