Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Weekend of Hockey - Part 1

This past weekend was a busy one for us, and for a change, it wasn't ALL about a skating competition (although there was one of those too...more on it later).

My brother and nephew are huge fans of the Chicago Blackhawks, and on Friday night, they were in Ottawa to play the Senators. So, months ago, we made plans to go to the game and to make a weekend of it. And, I guess because it sounded like so much fun, my brothers friend and his family decided to join us too!

Our guests arrived on Thursday night, and by 9 o'clock Friday morning, we were on the road to Ottawa - do you think they were excited, or what?!? My brother had made reservations at the same hotel that the Blackhawks were staying at, with hopes that they would get the chance to meet some players and get autographs. We went straight there, and arrived shortly before the team was expected to return from their morning practice - so, we sat in the lobby, waiting for their bus, armed with a Sharpie and a hockey stick to have signed!

Nolan was ready, Toews jersey and all...
Unfortunately, as soon as the players bus pulled up, the hotel staff told us that we 'had to respect the players privacy' and then created a bit of a wall so we wouldn't really be able to get too close to the players.

The players entering the hotel; those people with their hands behind their backs, that's the hotel 'security'...
I was disappointed that not one of the players even acknowledged Nolan, standing there wide eyed with his jersey, obviously in awe as they walked by...disappointed isn't really the right word, I was ticked!

Finally, one of the last guys in stopped...he was 'the voice of the Blackhawks', the guy who does the play by play. He was great with Nolan, and had a good chat with Tom...but, not exactly who they were looking to talk to :)
Once the players were all in, and the possibility of an autograph was gone, we went up to the room to relax and order lunch. While waiting for the pizza to be delivered, we decided to go for a walk to check out the pool area. And, after seeing the pool, as we walked to the elevator to go back to our room, my brother saw Marian Hossa waiting for the elevator! Although he couldn't get his attention, we did realize that the players were having lunch in a nearby banquet room...so, if we waited in and around that area, we may actually get another chance to meet players. So, that's what we did...waited...and met about ten players!

Nolan getting his first autograph from Bryan Bickle...
And, from the goalie, Ray Emery...
I can't remember who the guy on the left is...but, the guy on the right, with a cookie in his mouth, is Andrew Shaw. He's from Belleville, and I used to coach skating with his sister - I threw that out there while he was signing Nolan's hockey stick :)
Yet another guy that I can't remember...could be Brandon Bollig? Tom, correct me if I'm wrong.
Nolan was able to get autographs from a few other players, and we did get pictures, but since I can't remember who they were, and I've already included a lot of pictures, I'll leave those ones out.

My next post will be about the actual game, and it too will be full of more pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment