Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Normal Weekend

Guess what I did this past weekend?

Give up?

I went to another skating competition! Yup, another one. Thankfully, this one was in Belleville, so there was no travel involved. Unfortunately, the two girls I had competing didn't really do all that well.

This particular competition, Eastern Ontario STARSkate Invitational Championships (EOSIC), is a big one...skaters from all over Eastern Ontario compete in hopes of qualifying to compete at the provincial level. There are always a lot of skaters competing in each level, and competition is fierce.

You can actually feel that the competition level at this event is more intense than it is at Invitational or Club Competitions. And, because this was the first time both girls competed at EOSIC, I think they were a little caught up in their surroundings.

Jillian skated on Friday, and although she skated well, it just wasn't enough to compete at this level. She was happy with her skate though, and said going in that she didn't expect much. She ended up placing eleventh out of fourteen. And, she was surprisingly OK with that...she said she was just glad she wasn't last.

Britteny skated on Saturday, and I was a little disappointed in her skate (not that I told her that). She is normally a powerful skater, with great speed and flow throughout her solo. That was NOT the case on Saturday...she practically walked through her program?!? I was at the boards whispering 'push, push, push' the whole time! So although she skated a clean program - she landed her jumps and her spins were decent - it too just wasn't enough to compete at this level. She ended up placing tenth out of eleven. She too was surprisingly OK with it...so I guess I should be too. I just know that she could have done a lot better, and all I really want is for my skaters to do their best.

This was the last competition of the season for these two - now it's time for them to focus on an upcoming test day.

It's going to be a busy few weeks, but the season is drawing to a close!

No comments:

Post a Comment