Friday, September 9, 2011

Branson - Endless Entertainment

The first time Curt and I were in Branson, we were shocked at the number of shows...this last time we were in Branson, we were shocked at the number of shows! We could have gone to see three shows a day, every day we were there, and still not even have seen a quarter of the shows happening. I don't know how people decide who to see?!?

Luckily, Stormy Point Village helped us make our decision. On Monday morning, the resort organizes a 'Breakfast with the Stars'...during a buffet breakfast at the clubhouse, various different groups or individuals came in and performed for a few minutes, giving us a little preview of their show...the whole thing was great!

The resort we stayed at in June did something similar, except it was a dinner; the Stormy Point version was a lot better because it was a smaller crowd, so the performers all interacted with everyone, which is always fun.

One performer in particular had a lot of fun teasing my dad (there was assigned seating, and we ended up with a table right at the front!)...we all laughed sooo much!

Here he is, Clay Cooper...
At one point during the breakfast, he was joking around with my dad and somehow ended up calling him a 'creeper'...when we went to his show on Monday night, we were upgraded to front row seats, and during the first half he came down to greet people in the audience, when he went to shake dad's hand, he recognized him and commented that 'the creeper from Canada' had come to the show!

Normally at the beginning of live shows, there is an announcement telling you that you're not allowed to take video or pictures...not in Branson! They tell you not to take video, but you're allowed to take pictures if you want. Perfect for the paparazzi in me!

Being in the front row, the performers noticed when I was taking pictures, and would actually pause to let me get a good shot.

Here is one of the other performers in Clay's show, Matt Gunn, pretending to be a ventriloquist, using Clay's son Colton as his 'dummy'.
One of the groups, a duet actually, that performed at both the dinner and the breakfast was 'Buckets and Boards'. Curt and I thought about going to see them on our first trip, and my dad laughed hysterically at them during the breakfast, so I think he would have gone to see them...but, we realized we could have the best of both worlds because they are a feature act in Clay Cooper's show!

Buckets and Boards during the breakfast, and yes, he is playing recorders with his nose!

One of the groups that performed at the preview dinner on our first trip was the Dutton Family...well, the three brothers that make up the Dutton Family. Although Curt and I both enjoyed their little preview, it wasn't one of the shows we chose for that trip. But, when we decided to go back with my parents, I KNEW my mom would LOVE them, and was strongly suggesting them.

Then, the Dutton brothers were the first act to perform at Stormy Points 'Breakfast with the Stars'. And, as soon as they played their first note, my mom leaned over to me and whispered "Oh yeah, we need to see them!"

Up close and personal during breakfast
The Dutton's put on a great show - they played a wide variety of great music and wowed the audience with their ability to play such a variety of instruments.

Not only could they play a variety of instruments, they could also play them in a variety of positions....

Behind their backs...

With the person beside them (they are each fingering their own instrument, but they are using their bow on the fiddle beside them)...

We also decided to see a third show after my mom heard a lot of great reviews from other resort guests. We went to see 'Noah: The Musical'! Curt and I saw this show on our first trip, but we both loved it...and, we were happy to see it again so that my parents could experience it. I say 'experience it' because it's more than just a play, really, the set is AMAZING - it makes you feel like you are actually in the Ark.

A family shot going into the theatre...

I was sitting beside my dad for the second half, and as soon as the curtains are drawn around the sides of the theatre, revealing the animals on the Ark, I heard my dad say 'unbelievable!'. Then, my mom started pointing out all the animals that were moving...eventually realizing that almost all of the animals moved (some of the animals are real and others are animatronic). I could tell that they were as impressed as Curt and I had been.

Stormy Point also had other little forms of entertainment throughout the week - it started with the breakfast, later in the week they had a poolside BBQ, complete with a band, and then twice during the week they had movie night at the pool (I'll let a picture help explain this).

Enjoying the poolside BBQ
Movie night at the pool
Not a great picture because it's at night and the lighting if weird...but, a movie was projected onto that large screen on the right. Notice how there is no one there?!?! They were playing 'Alice in Wonderland' so we didn't stay for the whole movie.

Wow, this post is REALLY, REALLY LONG! Just goes to show that when talking about entertainment in Branson, there is a lot to cover! I hope the pictures helped break it up and get you the end of all the type. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment