Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Last Round

Curt and I played in a golf tournament yesterday, and it will probably be my last round of the season. So, I'm really glad it went well and that we had so much fun!

The tournament was a fundraiser for the Stirling Curling Club; it was pretty small, only 36 people played in it, and it was held at Oak Hills Golf Club. The original registration list had us paired up with another couple, an older couple that curled in our league last year, but we didn't really get to know them that well. It would have been fine, but the organizer ended up changing things up at the last minute, and I think it was to our benefit. We ended up playing with another couple, closer to our age, who also played in our league last year - Mike and Michelle. I've actually known Mike for a few years as he is a member at the golf course I worked at. Michelle also played in our ladies nights for a few years, so I've gotten to know her too. We all had a great time, and laughed A LOT!

Mike actually reminds me a lot of my brother - he is really sarcastic and always joking around.

We were making up team names, and giving each other nicknames, all day....for example, we all took a turn being called 'scully' as we all sculled a ball or two. Well, I was telling them how much Mike reminds me of Tom, so Michelle started calling him 'Tommy'...then I mentioned that I used 'Tom-ass' a lot (Tom's real name is Thomas)...Michelle liked that one, and it stuck for a good portion of the afternoon!

While we were driving to our starting hole, Curt jinxed us and said 'Well, I think we have this thing locked up!' ha! Our first hole was horrible, and we ended up with a bogey.

But, we pulled it together after that and ended up shooting five under - good enough to win the tournament! Well, we tied for the win. So, our team got to split $100!

There were various contests on the course too, included closest to the pin for men and women, closest to the rope (stretched down the middle of a fairway), and longest drive. They made longest drive competition interesting...you had to hit your drive with hockey gloves on?!? Well, I step up and hit the longest straightest drive I'd hit all day. The group in front of us was still in the fairway (I figured I would duff it or it would go right or left, as that's what seemed to be happening with everyone else) and my ball landed a few yards behind them and then rolled past them....ooops. A little bragging here, I think my longest drive was even longer then the mens longest drive. It was almost annoying that I hit my best drive with hockey gloves on though...it was another thing Mike could make fun of throughout the day!

Here are some pics of each of us hitting our drive with the hockey gloves on...

Mike

Michelle

Curt

And me, getting all suited up...

Oh, and I also managed to win the putting contest! ha! That was pure luck, but, it won me $35!

So, we paid $120 to play in the tournament (that included golf, cart and dinner served back at the curling club)...and, we won $85 and a small prize...so, it was a great day and ended up only costing us $35!

No comments:

Post a Comment