Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Robertson Visit - Part 2

So, at the end of the last post, I mentioned that we spent a lot of time in/on water during the Robertson's visit.  Yes, there was the visit to our neighbours pool...but, even better was all the time we spent boating!

On Friday, we went to a section of the Trent River (near Frankford) to do some tubing.  We got a little later start than we were hoping for - we originally went to Trenton to go out on the Bay, but it was too rough, so we ended up driving to a second spot which worked out much better.

It was HOT, so we were all happy to be on the water.  Unfortunately, we had a little mishap with our tube...as in, we put it out to tow behind the boat with no one in it (it was huge and in the way in the boat)...but, it caught the wake and a gust of wind and ripped!  I was MAD, I'm not going to lie...I was so excited to give the kids the chance to go tubing, so when that wasn't going to happen I was really disappointed.  We tried anyway, but it wasn't the same :(  Of course, we couldn't go very fast...and we had to tie the rope to a random loop near the bottom of the tube, so it naturally pulled down into the water and the two openings for people to sit in filled up with water.  However, I will say, the kids still had fun with it...when the water came in to Nolan's area, he said the 'ocean was coming in on his feet'!  :)

Nolan and I getting ready on the tube...
Abby and I on the tube...
You can see that Abby is sitting lower, she's down in the 'hole' for people to sit in...once the boat got going, and the water came in, I had to pull her out and have her sit on the edge of the tube...the water would have been to her chin if she stayed like she is in the picture :)

So, after we did some 'tubing', I decided to try some wake-boarding.  I was very excited to get up on the second try AND to manage to stay up while going in and out of the wake!!!

Up and 'safe' inside the wake :)
And, drum roll please...outside the wake!
Now getting in and out of the wake really isn't that hard...but, it's something I've never been good at, so I was excited.  And, while I'm being honest, I tried to get up again later and couldn't even get up, ha!  I think I had tired myself out with the swimming we did...and, helping Nolan try wake-boarding!  That's right, he tried too!

This is how it started...
I'm a rookie wake-boarder myself, so helping Nolan try to get up was a learning curve for me too!  But, I would start holding him like this - Curt would start going really slow and I would let go and let Nolan hold the rope on his own for a few seconds (while still going really slow) - when I let go, I would then try to start pushing the board up while turning is length wise - and, Nolan would try to stand up!  Sounds easy, right?!?!  ;)  He did 'get up', but it was pretty much one fluid motion...he went from the position he was in with me in the picture above, to slowing standing up and then falling over! :)  But, he was sooo PUMPED about it...and we were all really proud of him too! 

Curt did some wake-boarding too, but there are no pictures of his time on the board.  Nolan was the judge, and he decided that he was first in the competition, Uncle Curt was second, and I was sixth?!?!  Out of three people...ouch!

Nolan and I after all our hard work...
Krystle and Abby enjoying their time in the bow of the boat...
Curt, the captain of our ship...
After a few hours of fun on the water, it was time to pack it in for the day and get home so the kids could have lunch and get in a nap.  We enjoyed our time on the boat so much, we knew we would have to go again on Saturday...so, that calls for Part 3...

No comments:

Post a Comment