Monday, July 29, 2013

The Canadian Open - Saturday

Curt and I were lucky enough to attend the Canadian Open again this year - this time as spectators rather than volunteers.  A few months ago, it didn't look like we were going to go...I really wanted to go, but Curt didn't seem all that interested, so it looked like we were going to be camping that weekend instead.  BUT, then Curt ended up winning tickets in a golf tournament, so that sealed the deal and we were in!

We had a wedding on Friday - Curt's cousin was getting married in Barrie - so we were only able to be at the tournament on Saturday and Sunday, but that was better than nothing!  We stayed in Barrie Friday night after the wedding; Saturday morning, we woke up and went to Acton to pick up my nephew Nolan, and then the three of us were off to Glen Abbey. 

There was a pretty fun 'Fan Experience' area set up when you entered the course, and we arrived at the tail end of a rain delay, so we had some time to check everything out.

Global News had an anchor desk set up, so Nolan and I pretended to be news anchors...
*I should have apologized in advance, all the pictures on this post are from my iPhone, so they aren't great*

Then we checked out the RBC corner...
Since Nolan is standing with Hunter Mahan's bag, I'll throw in a random little story about Hunter - he was in the lead going into the weekend, but when he was on the range warming up on Saturday morning, he got a call telling him that his wife was in labour...so, he did exactly what he should have done - withdrew and went to be with her!

Once the rain delay was over, the CN Junior Links area re-opened, so Nolan was able to hit a few balls there.
We hadn't been there long before Nolan was asking for ice cream (despite it being a cool and rainy day).  This Aunt can't say no...so, he may have had two of these while we were there!
Apparently the scratch under his eye is from his sister...he did not get that while under our care! :)

A few pictures from around the course...

Maybe his name will be on this wall one day :)
Or, maybe it will be on one of these signs during a round on the PGA :)

Nolan did so well again this year - he behaved so well and made me very proud!  Not long after we got there, we were able to meet up with our friends Henk and Amy - they were walking with Bubba Watson's group - so we hung out with them for a bit.  BUT, the walking was a bit too much for Nolan - and I knew that when the group went down into the valley, that if Nolan and I went down there, I might have to carry him up (and I wouldn't have been able to do that!), so we decided to find our own spot to watch. 

While Nolan and I were on our own, we were sitting near a green watching, and when Tommy "two-gloves" Gainey walked off the green, he handed Nolan his golf ball!  It was GREAT because that ball kept Nolan entertained all afternoon!  As he played with it around the course, people would ask where he got it...all he could remember was 'Tommy' and then I would have to remind him about the Gainey part :)  Then on our way out, someone said 'oh, Tommy two-gloves'...Nolan looked at me confused, so I explained that that was his nickname...after that, he had no problem remembering the nickname and said it with enthusiasm.

Eventually, we made our way to the 18th green to watch the groups come in.  Like I said earlier, the weather wasn't great, so it wasn't that busy around 18...so, Nolan was able to kick his golf ball around and I could watch.  Curt met up with us there, and we watched the final groups come in before heading out.

One last picture from the Fan Experience area that we got on our way out...
Nolan's smile is a bit cheesy, but it's a smile!  I think he had a good day, and I know that Curt and I did too.

No comments:

Post a Comment