Sunday, June 27, 2010

A Week to Forget

So, I mentioned in my last post that I've been having some issues at work; and this past week, A LOT has happened related to my job.

As my title suggests, I want to forget the events of the last week - or at least forget the stress they created. But, this blog is here to document events of my life, so I'm going to give a quick summary of what has been going on, and what is going on for the rest of the golf season.

- I have to rewind to June, 7th, when I gave the General Manager my two weeks notice - I had decided to quit. At that point, the GM told me that he was not going to accept my resignation, he said I was important part of the club, and that he wanted me to rethink my decision. I didn't have another job to go to at that point, so I figured I would just stay at the club until something came along.

- I start looking for new jobs and sending out resumes; I contact my former boss to see if he can contact some courses in the area to help my chances at getting work at one of them

- On June 17th I meet with the GM and Head Pro at Loyalist Golf & C.C.; the 'interview' goes well, but they are clear about the fact that they don't have a position for me, but they will keep me in mind for next season

- On June 20th, the Head Pro from Loyalist calls me at work and says that a position has opened up, and asks if I will take it - I say yes!

- On June 21st I tell various co-workers at BQ that I will be leaving; I tell the Golf Pro first, then the GM and the owner (it was ironic that the owner was even on property that day); chaos ensues for the next hour or so (lots of discussion amongst management, all behind closed doors in the Pro Shop, while I'm behind the counter trying to pretend they're not a few feet away talking about me); eventually, I'm taken into the office and the GM tells me that he is aware of the two major problems I'm having at work (person A and B), and that they are going to deal with person A immediately (lay him off/fire him) and that person B will be gone by the end of the September - he says that he hopes that will change my mind about leaving; my mind is racing when I leave work that night!

- On June 22nd, person A is laid off - an immediate weight is lifted off my shoulders; I leave the shop that afternoon, feeling sure about my decision, I call the Head Pro at Loyalist to tell him about the changes at BQ, and to let him know that I will be staying there - however, I mention that if I leave, BQ would be down to 3 people in the shop, and he states that their shop is down to 2 people; I feel incredibly guilty and change my mind, I tell him that I will work the next day as planned (it was my scheduled day off from BQ anyway)

- On June 23rd I work an 8 hour shift at Loyalist; I learn more about the position, and feel a little apprehensive about taking the job; I finish the shift with a very unsettled feeling, and process everything on the drive home (that, by the way, is almost an hour, versus the 10 minute drive to BQ) - I decide on the way home that I don't want to change jobs (the commute is too much, and the shop at Loyalist has their own issues, and I don't want to come in in the middle of the season)

- On June 24th I go to work another shift at Loyalist, but tell the Head Pro immediately what I have decided; luckily, he is very understanding and supports the fact that I have to do what is best for me

- On June 25th I go to work at BQ, and despite a disagreement/argument with the Golf Pro, I feel confident about my decision to finish the season at BQ

So, there you have it. It was hard to keep all of that short!

It was a stressful and emotionally trying week...and it makes me that much more excited about my upcoming vacation!!! It's only three weeks away now.

No comments:

Post a Comment