Thursday, February 9, 2012

Golf vs. Football

We've been watching a lot of golf around here lately. Curt and I both enjoy watching, so it's usually on for at least a little while every weekend. These last few weekends though, the tournaments have all had extra appeal, so golf has been on more than usual.

Three weeks ago the tour was in La Quinta, California playing the Palmer and Nicklaus courses at PGA West. When we were in California in July 2010, we played the TPC Stadium Course at PGA West! When I came across the tournament on TV, I knew right away that they were playing in Palm Springs - although we didn't play the exact same course, I could see the similarities in course conditions and the architecture of the homes on the courses.

Some pictures from our round at the Stadium Course...



It was an AMAZING course, but what I remember most is how HOT it was while we were playing! By the time we got to the 17th Hole, appropriately name 'Alcatraz', I was so hot and tired, after hitting three balls in the water, I gave up on ever hitting the island green and didn't play the hole!


Two weeks ago, the tour was in La Jolla, California playing at Torrey Pines. When we were in California in December 2011, we played the South Course at Torry Pines! Because we just played this course a month ago, Curt and I could actually remember how we played while we were there - so, as we watched, we had our own commentary, remembering the shots we made while we played.

Some pictures from our round at Torrey Pines...
While we were playing, there was a crew setting up the bleachers for the Farmers Open - we were surprised to learn they start that so early! This was our view coming into the 15th green!
This was another AMAZING course, although it is a municipal course, and you noticed that at times - for example, players were allowed to wear jeans (I HATE that) and there a lot of ball marks on the greens. Curt played really well...I played HORRIBLY...but, we both just enjoyed the fact that we were playing on a course that has hosted the U.S. Open and an annual PGA event!


And then last week, the tour was in Scottsdale, Arizona playing the Waste Management Phoenix Open at TPC Scottsdale. Now, we haven't played this course, but it's on my bucket list to play there - AND to be a spectator at this event, more specifically, to sit in the bleachers on the 16th hole - also known as the 'Bird's Nest' and the rowdiest hole in golf (fans act more like they're at a hockey game than a golf game).

Unfortunately, Sunday's final round was interrupted by the Super Bowl :( We had a little get together, so once people started arriving, we couldn't really leave the TV on golf.

I was a little nervous about hosting the party - mainly because our guest list grew significantly the night before/morning of the event! I thought we were only going to have five people over, but by Sunday after church, that number had doubled! So, when I started to make chili, I was afraid I wasn't going to have enough...and I worried about the fact that we don't really have seating for that many people. As I stressed, Curt only said 'don't worry about it, it doesn't matter'. And, since we couldn't un-invite people, I just hoped for the best.

I think it went well in the end - one of our guests brought pulled pork, so there was another 'main course' and we didn't run out of chili. There were a lot of snacks to enjoy before dinner, so much that I forgot to put out some of the food we had bought to serve. Some people had to sit on the floor at times, but everyone took turns so I don't think it was that bad. So, once again, I probably stressed about nothing.

I really don't enjoy watching football, but I enjoyed the company, the socializing, the food and some of the commercials!

I saw this image on Pinterest today, and it sums things up nicely...

No comments:

Post a Comment