Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Sick Day = Blog Catch Up

I'm home sick from work today - nothing serious, just a cold - I could have gone to work, but I have NO energy, so I decided to use my first sick day. It's been a good use of a sick day - I slept a lot this morning, watched Ellen, spent too much time on Pinterest, finally got things cleaned up from our Super Bowl Party (more on that later), and now I can catch up here!

This past weekend was a busy one - I was at a skating competition all day Saturday; and although I only had two skaters competing, they each skated in four events, so it was a full and busy day.

Ella had a good day and skated her best, unfortunately, the judges didn't really reward her for her great skating?!? She came in fourth in her first event, individual elements, and although that is great, she was pretty disappointed with that - she even shed a few tears :( I don't like it when my older girls cry when they get their results, but with little ones, it breaks my heart.

Look at this little cutie, it obviously makes me sad when she cries! This picture is from the end of the day, she was done crying and kinda hyper by this point!
I'm obviously biased, but I really think she should have been second or third - I think the judges mixed up the skaters when they did their marking. I felt like my point was proven throughout the day because the same girl that came in second in this event, competed against Ella in two other events, and she came in last and second last in those events!?!

Ella placed fourth in two of her other events as well, her format elements and team elements. When she got the results for her final event, and found out she was fourth again, all she said was 'AGAIN!?!'

Ella with her older sister, Hannah, who came to cheer for her fellow Tweed skaters.
Keegan, my dramatic boy skater, also had a great day and stepped up to a big challenge - there was only one other boy registered for the competition, and he was two levels higher than Keegan; skaters can 'skate up' in levels, but can't skate down, for obvious reasons - so in order to have the chance to compete, Keegan skated up and had to learn all new elements just weeks before the event! He did a great job, and I'm sure that a lot of people watching wouldn't have known that he was actually two levels lower - the other boy was a lot more 'polished', but judges and coaches are probably the only ones to pick up on that kind of thing.

Keegan finished second in the two events that he had to 'skate up' in - which I think we all expected - and finished fourth in team elements, which he did with Ella.

The other event the kids competed in, a new one this year, was called 'Challenge Elements' - it was another individual element type event, but with a different format. The big difference is the way the kids are marked/rewarded at the end - rather than ranking the kids first, second, third, fourth, etc., kids are awarded gold, silver, bronze or merit certificates. So, all the kids in the flight may end up getting a gold certificate, or some may get gold while others get silver, etc.

I was a little unsure about the event going in, and still have mixed feelings - I didn't like the way the warm up was conducted, but I do like that they get a report card afterwards, so you know exactly how the judges came up with their results. Both Ella and Keegan ended up with Silver certificates, but despite that, they didn't like the event :) It's new, so we'll give it a try at the next competition and see how it goes there!

This is a horrible photo, taken with my phone, but it's the only one I have of Keegan. It's a group shot of everyone from Tweed (L-R: Kristin, one of the other coaches, Keegan, Leigha - Kristin's skater, Ella and myself)
So, that's another competition done for the season - only three more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment