Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Shooting Stars

This past weekend was Shooting Stars Interclub - another skating competition. This competition is also known as interclub, and it's meant to be a FUN competition - and I know that the five skaters I had competing, definitely had a lot of fun.

I had two skaters, Alyssa and Hannah, competing in two events on Saturday morning. When Hannah arrived at the rink, I was surprised to see her right hand all wrapped up?!? She had a little accident at a school dance the night before, and pulled a ligament in her wrist. She was in a lot of pain, and her fingers were swollen and blue, but she was determined to skate anyway!

Alyssa's older brother was at the competition watching, and he told Hannah that 'the pain will end, but the glory will last forever'. Ha! She kind of adopted that as her motto all weekend!

They competed in Shadow Dance, skating the Canasta Tango, and then did their Similar Pairs. They ended up last in the Shadow Dance, despite skating well, but placed third in Similar Pairs! Everyone was really proud of their great finish because the girls actually choreographed their whole program themselves! I let them work on it on their own, and when I gave them lessons, I really only reminded them about staying in unison.

Hannah and Alyssa - after their skate, they're all smiles as they wait for medal presentations. You can't really tell in this picture, but those outfits were BRIGHT green! I heard people watching talk about them :) Alyssa was able to borrow them from her dance studio.

On Sunday, I had five skaters competing in three or four events each - and, they all won medals in two or three of those events!

My little Ella - she is awesome! She is very determined, and isn't really happy unless she gets first...so, she couldn't stop smiling when she won the gold for her Individual Elements.

On the medal podium...
I think I have mentioned on here that I have a boy skater this year - he competed at this competition, and I think his proudest moment was coming in THIRD in the Individual Spiral & Spin Event (he had to do a forward spiral followed by a one foot spin). A third place finish was big because he competed against seven girls!

And, here's a group shot of some of the Tweed skaters that competed throughout the weekend...

Left to right: Madison, Hannah, Amelia, Ella, Leigha, Jamie, Adrianna, Jessalynn and Sydney.

I was kinda dreading this competition - just because it was spread out over two days and with each skater competing in multiple events, it can get a little chaotic making sure they get to the ice when they're supposed to and stuff. But, it ended up going really well - and, the fact that I had Monday off for Family Day was perfect, it gave me a chance to sleep in!

So, that's four competitions down...two to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment